At A Glance
Waterfront Montessori is a parent-founded, parent-run independent school for children from two years old through eighth grade.
Our interests are aligned with the interests of the parents of our students. The things we want for our children are:
- The safety of our children.
- Commitment to care for our children when they are not with us.
- The best possible education for our children.
- The character development of our children.
- The happiness of our children.
We approach education as scientists, constantly researching, observing, discussing, testing hypotheses and modifying our view to incorporate what we conclude are critical components of either method of teaching or subject matter. We are constantly reviewing and discussing theories and thinking in neurology and education. We are focused on and implement what makes sense to us.
- Montessori Curriculum, Toddlers through Grade 5
- Montessori combined with the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program, Grades 6-8
Location: 150 Warren Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302.
Waterfront Montessori is a beautiful modern facility located in the exclusive Paulus Hook neighborhood in Jersey City on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River with a view of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.
Reflecting the neighborhood population, the students and staff are culturally and racially diverse with a student body that is 40% Asian, 30% white, 19% mixed race, 6% black, 3% undisclosed and 2% Hispanic.
Number of students: 220
- Toddler (2 to 3 years)
- Primary (3 to 6 years)
- Lower Elementary (Grades 1 through 3)
- Upper Elementary (Grades 4 and 5)
- Middle School (Grades 6 through 8)
- Toddler 1:4
- Primary 1:10
- Lower Elementary 1:10
- Upper Elementary 1:10
- Middle School 1:10
- One-to-one Apple computer program for students in Grades 4 through 8
- Digital Art
- 3D Printer
- Google Apps for Education
- Extensive robotics program including a competition First Lego League team
- Visual and fine arts
- Choral and instrumental music
- Music appreciation
- Theater (including a school wide annual musical production)
Admissions Period: September through mid-January for the following year. More info
Enrollment Options: All programs 5 days per week
- Half Day: 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Full Day: 8:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
- Full Day Middle School: 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Extended Day: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Tuition & Fees: $14,900 – $28,150. More info
Memberships and Affiliations:
- American Montessori Society
- International Montessori Foundation
- International Baccalaureate Organization
- Guild of IB Schools of the Northeast
- New Jersey Montessori Association; Karen Westman, Co-Head of School, is President of NJMAC
- Lower Campus Licensed by NJ Department of Children and Families
Near Public Transportation:
- 3 blocks to the Essex Street Light Rail stop
- 3 blocks to the Marin Blvd. Light Rail stop
- 5 blocks to the PATH Exchange Place stop
- 5 blocks to the PATH Grove Street stop
- Steps to Liberty Landing Water Taxi pier
- Near New Jersey Transit bus lines